Prints are made with archival pigment Epson Ultrachrome K3 inks, which are noted for their wide colour gamut and fade resistance. Partnered to the inks are a selection of cotton rag and mould made cellulose papers similar to watercolour and cartridge papers favoured by artists for their weight and surface texture. Giclee prints are accepted by art galleries and museums, who recognise the importance of permanence in print.
We have been reproducing fine art for over 30 years and work with the artist to ensure the best possible print from the original. Artwork up to 2m x 3m is photographed in our studio under controlled lighting, either digitally or on transparency film. Once the initial image and print have been agreed on, then repeat prints will be identical and can be ordered when they are needed, at prices that will encourage extra sales of your work. The printing files are your copyright, we keep files indefinitely to simplify reordering, but you retain control of every aspect of the edition.
All our papers are archival, acid free and include a 2" border all round as standard
Fine Art Etch, textured 100% cotton rag 310gsm
Photo Rag, smooth 100% cotton rag 300gsm
Portfolio Rag, smooth 100% cotton rag 220gsm
Portrait White, light textured, cotton rag/cellulose mix 285gsm
Gallery Etching, textured, cellulose 310gsm
- For more information on individual papers click here
Greetings cards and short-run printing - click here
Of course you'd like an idea of price! Here's a couple of typical examples including Vat
1. An 10"x12" watercolour original is brought in and needs two copies, printed 12"x16" on a similar style of textured paper:
- Digital Photography - £20
- Initial 12"x16" size print, including a 2" border on Gallery Etching £19.35
- Subsequent print £12.75
- ( six months later you need a repeat print ) £12.75
2. From a 40" x 60" oil painting, you need a digital copy for a catalogue sent to the printers in Hong Kong and a transparency for your records. The client's daughter has asked for a small copy for herself.
- Transparency Photography - £35.50
- Scan at A4 size - £22.00
- File sent via WeTransfer - £5.00
- Initial print 12"x16" on 100% cotton rag paper including a 2" border - £26.95
It's in our interests to offer you the best price that matches your requirements, because you'll be able to sell more prints - and tell your friends you think The Darkroom is great! A few minutes of discussion will help us understand your needs and then suggest solutions and print options.
We aim to complete most work next day and a couple of days is a luxury for us, but life is never that simple: perhaps you have to stay with a valuable work as security or you have a new painting that must go into the catalogue later today? We always try to fit work around your schedule but ask you to be flexible with times: a rushed job is no one's first choice!